Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Limnos


I've been going to Limnos since I was 11 months old. I learned to walk there. I learned to fish there. I had my first crush there. I've been to baptisms, weddings and funerals there. It is more home to me than any place on earth.

For those that dont know where it is, Limnos is a medium sized island in the northern Aegean sea, about 3 islands down from the mainland of Greece and deangerously close to the western shores of Turkey. When most folks think of Greek islands they think of Myknonos and Santorini. They dont know that's what they're thinking of, but the white and blue buildings of the cycladic and dodecanese islands are prettier on postcards than what is more common I guess.

Limnos does have a pretty storied history though. It was a key launching point for naval battles ranging from some small war against a little town called Troy to berthing large warships during WWI. There is also a large Genoan castle in the main town of Myrina which dates back to the 14th century. Granted you wont find the magestic ruins of Athens, Rhodes or Crete here, which makes me guess that Limnos must have been a rarely visited gem back during the Golden Age too.

By first impression Limnos would look non-descript, barren and boring by tourism standards. Limnos is not touristy, although it is becoming more and more visited or should I say, discovered. Limnos doesn't have villages of neatly stacked, pristine white buildings, massive cliffs, black sand beaches, miles of olive groves or world renown nightclubs or boutiques. Limnos is genuine. It is arid. It is rocky. It lacks much vegetation. You'll not find a drunken northern European roaming the streets at 3am. You wont be kept awake by the incessant 'bmp-pss, bmp-pss, bmp-pss' of discoteques.

Limnos does have gorgeous beaches like Keros Beach and Evgati. It has amazing restaurants like Mantella. It has great nightlife with clubs like Karagiozis. It has breathtaking sunsets over Mt. Athos (100 miles away) and sunrises over Turkey. Myrina, the capital and home to about 8000 people has more life than many cities of millions that I've been to. I've been going there for more years than I can remember and somehow on every trip I seem to see or experience something new. It's quaint, it's quiet, it's unspoiled and it's mine.

With that, I decided to sum up in images what Limnos is to me and what it has meant to me over 35 years. My Limnos.

4 comments:

Misplaced said...

Excellent photos!!!!!!

Where'd you get the kick ass kicks?

Anonymous said...

Great vacation you took me on this morning, thank you! Never knew to love it before.

Quite a photographer...

Joanne said...

Hi! I heard about your blog from another blogger who is also from Limnos.So here I am reading your motley of posts.

Your post about Limnos made me reminisce about my past vacations on the lovely, serene island. Everything you said when describing it is so true! My mother is from Limnos I have spent many sun drenched afternoons swimming at Keros beach and hanging out between the two villages of Kontopouli and Kalliopi.

I was born and raised in Canada but have been going to Greece (& Limnos) since I was little for summer vacation. Especially during the years when I was a student. Mind you - it has been around 10 years since I was last there.

Anyway, I do miss Limnos a great deal and look forward to going there with my husband in the near future.

The other thing that I really found interesting is that not only do we have the Limnos connection in common BUT I also studied Product Design/Industrial Design at the Ontario College of Art and Design!!
How weird is that?!

I could totally relate to some of your comments about design and clothing and products (i.e. the nose hair trimmer) LOL...hilarious!

Anyway - I just wanted to say "hello" and its' great to know that 'Limniotes' are everywhere!!! :D

Demetrius said...

Joanne, small world huh? Limnos is small, out of the way and special. Magnetic even. Reading your comment made me feel bad for neglecting this blog. May be worth refocusing as a Limnos specific travel and photo blog. Hmmmm. Makes me wish I was writing from my cousin Costa's club while having a frappe!