Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Engineers


For some reason people seem to find me funny. I'll have friends say to me 'oh, so and so loved you,he/she thinks you're so funny!' For a moment I'll catch myself wondering, what on earth could I have possibly said that would make "funny" the adjective of choice when describing me? I'd certainly prefer "good looking", "talented" or "great in bed", but I suppose it'll do.

Anyway, with that said, I have never been much for actual joke telling. Most seem so simple that I dont find them that funny. Others that actually are funny often become too complex to recall verbatim. I recently read a joke though that I thought was brilliant and it was due in large part to the fact that I work with several engineers. Upon hearing this joke (an engineer joke), I couldn't wait to use it!

Yesterday my boss was taking a new face around the office. He stopped by and introduced his nephew Jim, or Steve, I cant recall. What did stand out is that the nephew, a lanky, meek fellow, happened to be an engineer! Finally my big chance! We exchange pleasantries and then I lead in with...'hey, I heard a great joke about engineers, want to hear it?' Poor guy, what was he to say but 'sure'.

'Great!' I said with obvious glee in my voice. 'How can you tell the difference between an introvert engineer and an extrovert engineer?' 'I dunno?' he says. 'The extrovert engineer looks at your shoes when he's talking to you!'

The look on nephew's face was priceless! And while he might not be one of the ones that says 'oh, he's so funny!', for that heart-piercing and emasculating moment, I truly was.

No comments: