Monday, February 26, 2007

The Oscars...


In one of my last posts I spent the better part of a half hour praising all the wonderful things about television. Tonight the Oscars...oh sorry, I mean ...The Academy Awards (tm) are on and while this is one event that even TV haters like to tune into, ironically, this whole category of masturbatory programming is one that I despise! I hate awards shows. Almost more than anything.

The whole concept of all these people who are already famous, designating several nights a year under different guises, just to remind themselves how great they are, just seems messed up. Now, whoever reads this might say that I am just jealous. I am not. I never grew up wanting to be an actor. Not to say that I didn't think I could be one if I wanted to...a good one actually.

Being a creative person I can understand the need for incessant reassurance and praise, to be recognized for excelling at your craft of choice. You may recall my post a few days back when I spoke about the power that reality has when it hits you in the face with less than glowing criticism. But this is just ridiculous. And really the superfluousness is what gets me the most. Sure, one event a year (the Oscars) would be ok, but do we really need the Golden Globes, the People's Choice Awards, the AFI awards, the SAGs or the MTV ones? Holy crap that's a lot and only the movie related ones I can think of.

My recap of last night's event would be as follows:

1. Ellen is a pretty good MC
2. Al Gore should be president
3. The Departed deserved to win
4. Jennifer Hudson didn't
5. I'd like to see West Bank Story
6. Hellen Mirren is old enough to be my mom, but still hot

So, why did I watch you ask? Well uh...how's that one go about the trainwreck? In my defense I was on the couch working on a proposal while my wife watched and it was sort of background noise...and of course it fueled my observations of pop culture. I still love you TV!

No comments: