Tuesday, May 22, 2007

B-Day +1


While I am older today than yesterday, I am not old enough to have been a part of anything significantly historical. I suppose that history or at least the context of how each of us thinks about it is very much dependent on if we were around to witness it or not. Many people remember where they were when President Kennedy was assasinated, where they were when man first walked on the moon or listening to the radio broadcast of the signing of the Magna Carta. I'm guessing that if we had roamed the earth 75 million years ago, then dinosaurs would have just seem like a normal thing we used to have around, like passenger pigeons and dodo birds.

I'm 35 as of yesterday and I have been on this planet during events like the fall of the Berlin wall, the fall of the Khmer Rouge, the Challenger disaster, Watergate, September 11 and more. While all pretty remarkable and oftentimes infamous pieces of history, they seem like normal parts of my life, a part of me sort of like a relative you acknowledge but dont like.

I oftentimes wish I had been around during say 1930 to 1969. I would have lived through a couple of wars, amazing technological advancements and some fantastic periods of art. I sometimes like to think that when I was born in 1972, that WW2 ended just 27 years prior, which in that context doesn't seem too long before.

Relatedly, yet not, I've always kind of liked how after D-Day they called the days D-Day +1, D-Day +2, etc. Not sure when they decided that they should stop that. Today then is B-Day +1 for me. Today I see the world through the eyes of an older, wiser man. If only I had today's wisdom yesterday when I was gorging myself on all of the sweet delicios treats made for me by my many friends and family. Today I not only feel a bit older and wiser, but I also have a stomach ache, I'm lethargic, I'm slightly hungover and I cant seem to stand up straight. Could it be my new age or is it merely the result of too much chocolate coursing through my body? I suppose we'll find out on B-Day +2.

No comments: